Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My Top 10 AHL Logos!



 What's going on guys? Hope all of you have made your New Year's resolutions and are ready to start with a clean slate. For the first post for 2013, I decided to do my top 10 American Hockey League logos of all time. I chose the AHL because I follow the league more closely than any other due to the fact that Connecticut Whale are in my backyard. And to tell the truth, the Whale's logo didn't make it on my list...So here are my Top 10 AHL logos! Enjoy!

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The WBS Penguins could have easily gone with an altered Pittsburgh Penguins logo, but they didn't. I like how they put their own twist on the "Skating Penguin" logo. I also like how they incorporated red into their color pallet. Instead of just going with black & vegas gold.

9. Milwaukee Admirals
A lot of people don't like Milwaukee's logo due to the fact that it's one of the most "cartoonish" logos in the AHL, I don't think that at all! They could have went with an updated version of their IHL logo, which they did for a few years, but got really unique with this one. It also made my list because of their colors. They are one of the few teams that can pull off having ice blue.

8. Grand Rapids Griffins
 It's a freaking Griffin!!!...That about sums it up...

7. Rockford IceHogs
I'm probably gonna get some looks for this one...Normally when a team puts "Ice" in their name, it's usually a bad omen for their logo. I like how the pig or "hog" is biting the hockey stick as opposed to skating with it.

6. Toronto Marlies
Again, the Marlies could have gone with an altered Maple Leafs logo, but went their own way with it. I just wish they would have gone their own way with their uniforms. To be honest, I actually liked their dog logo alternate from a few years ago.

5. Bridgeport Sound Tigers
Here, I kind of hate myself for putting the Sound Tigers logo on my list. Due to the fact that they and the CT Whale/Wolf Pack are in-state/division rivals. But they have one of the nicer logos in the league. I think they pull off their colors and uniforms better than the Islanders do.

4. Hershey Bears (New)
It's fitting that the most storied franchise in the AHL makes it high on my list...But when they re-branded this past off-season and brought back the"chocolate" from the red they've been using for some time, they hit the nail on the head. Their logos are perfect and so are the uniforms.

3. Hartford Wolf Pack
Now here's a bit of my bias on this list. This logo was one of the best in the league. But then Howard Baldwin returned to Hartford just before the 2010-11 season and tried to brainwash everyone that the Whalers were back. If the Whale get a new lease, I hope they have a retro night...

2. Manitoba Moose
The Moose...Great logo, great colors. And the reason Winnipeg has an NHL team again. I wish True North would have went with this instead of bringing back the Jets name.

1. Charlotte Checkers
This could technically be another bias on the list. Before the Checkers made the move to the AHL three years ago, they were the Rangers' ECHL affiliate and adopted this logo their last season in the "E".

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honorable Mentions

 Hamilton Bulldogs

 New Haven Nighthawks

 Oklahoma City Barons


Rochester Americans
 
Syracuse Crunch





No comments:

Post a Comment